Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sketches for Painted Pattern for Heart Shaped Box


Sketches for Painted Pattern for Heart Shaped Box
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

These are sketches that I made for a painted pattern that I want to use for the heart-shaped box, a collage and decoupage project that I have been working on for a LONG time. Although I still have a long way to go to finish the last two decoupage surfaces, I have already been thinking about how to finish the last surface, which is the inner wall of the box lid. A few months ago, I realized that I should probably paint the that surface to avoid the wear and tear of two decoupaged surfaces moving against each other when the box is opened and closed. Well, I may change my mind about all of this, but for now, my idea is to use gold and silver acrylic paint. It was too hot today to try decoupage, and I was short on time anyway, so instead I decided to try to come up with a pattern for the inside of the lid. I used a stencil tool that came with a little drawing set, and measured to see how much room I will have and how the stencil will work. The photo shows six ideas that I came up with, done with felt-tip pen, sharpie pen, and marker. These patterns are constrained by how the stencil tool can fit inside the lid. Right now, I prefer the pattern that is shown second row from the bottom. The stencil tool was so awkward to use that I think it might actually be easier to paint it the pattern by hand. In any case, it was good to get ideas. And I am still thinking about it. To be continued. . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember discussing this with you and I had assumed it would be solid paint -- total coverage. This is a much nicer idea! You could practice freehand patterns and textures. Zentangles might provide some ideas in that reagard. Check it out on YouTube. Here's one more idea (which I know you did not ask for): you could mix in some text with the texture. Are you planning to sign the box?
Love, Mindy