Sunday, April 17, 2011

Path to the Beach (Oil Bar Painting Day 2)


Path to the Beach (Oil Bar Painting Day 2)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This morning I worked on this oil bar painting of a path to the beach. I am working from a photo that I took at Lynch Park a few years ago. (I recently published a posterized version of the photo on this site on April 15.) Today my goal was to widen the path and give it a little curve, as in my reference photo. Well, making the path wider was pretty easy; I just had to move the boats and the posts on the sides. But adding a little curve to the path was very tricky and I had to struggle to get that path to do what I wanted it to do (and not behave like a roller coaster). It was worth the effort, though. If the perspective of the path is "off" in this painting, nothing else is going to work. At this point, I am satisfied with the basic shape of the path. Later I will soften the edges of the path and add texture to indicate that it is sandy.

No comments: