Monday, May 09, 2011

Mom and Me (Digital Woodcut)


Mom and Me (Digital Woodcut)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

Yesterday I managed to digitally restore a photo taken by my uncle, Ike Fitterman, starting with an old negative that I came across. It was wonderful to see my uncle's photo! I cropped it and posted the result yesterday, for Mother's Day. (I used a digital camera, a computer screen, Painter, and iPhoto to do that; if you want details on how I restored the image from a negative, see yesterday's post.) Then I used my Painter software to create the image you see here. I used the digital woodcut effect on the photo, with very little black, and then posterized the result, to add more color. Working on this project was a way to bring my mom into the present tense; this project was also a way to collaborate with my uncle, and a great reminder of what a talented photographer he was.

No comments: