Saturday, July 16, 2011

Picking Peas (Perfect)

Picking Peas (Perfect) by randubnick
Picking Peas (Perfect), a photo by randubnick on Flickr.

This is a pen-and-ink drawing that has been digitally modified. I decided to go back to the drawing of peas on the vine that I posted two days ago. I liked the idea and the lines, but decided to eliminate some of the darker areas in the drawing. Although I have re-done plenty of pen and ink drawings in the past, I didn't really want to start over because I knew I would risk losing the spontaneity of the lines, so I decided to see what I could do on the computer. I opened the jpeg of the drawing in my Painter program, made a copy, and used digital pastel to cover up some of the dark areas. I and used a soft grainy "digital pastel" to try to reproduce the look of the paper. Well, these peas are not really perfect, but I am happier with this version because it emphasizes the lines. After I was all finished, I decided to try one more thing: adding a digital woodcut effect. I was pleasantly surprised at the result, which I plan to post here tomorrow.

No comments: