Thursday, July 14, 2011

Picking Peas

Picking Peas by randubnick
Picking Peas, a photo by randubnick on Flickr.

Today's adventure was going to Long Hill Gardens to the Food Project. This is Community Supported Agriculture and on Thursdays, members go and retrieve their weekly haul of organic vegetables. And it was my turn to go out to the field and pick peas (two pints, one pint for me and one for my daughter). Well, it is almost the end of the season for peas, so it took a while to find enough. But I confess here that it would have taken me a few minutes less time had I not stopped to take some quick pictures. Anyway, with all that time spent looking for peas, I was also looking AT peas. I love the gentle leaves and the beautiful tendrils. After dinner, I grabbed a sketch book and a pen and started drawing, mostly from memory and imagination, though I looked at the photos I had taken for reference. Although the pen was a bit leaky and the sketch isn't perfect, there's something about it that I like. Maybe I will go back and re-do it sometime, but meanwhile it made me happy to pick those peas, and happy to draw them afterward, so I am posting my sketch here tonight . Tomorrow I will post one of the photos that I took in the field (while I was supposed to be picking those peas).

1 comment:

Minka said...

I like it