Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Galia Melon

Galia Melon by randubnick
Galia Melon, a photo by randubnick on Flickr.

This week the grocery store ran specials on some unusual kinds of melon, so I decided to try this one. From the shape of the melon and the texture of the skin, I thought I was buying a kind of canteloupe. But the skin was orange instead of green. And when I cut into it, the fruit was green instead of orange. It kind of looked like an inside-out canteloupe. It tasted good (but not quite canteloupe) and looked pretty enough for a picture, so I used my iPhone to take a couple of them. Tonight I edited this one in iPhoto and cropped it to get this composition. I also did a little research on Google and found out that this is a Galia melon. It is a hybrid between canteloupe and honeydew, original developed in Israel in the 1970s, but now grown in a number of countries, including Brazil, Spain, and the southern U.S.

No comments: