Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Path at Bradley Palmer (Posterized Photograph)

This image started with a photo that I took during a recent walk at Bradley Palmer State Park here in Massachusetts. When I took the picture, I was trying to capture the bright foliage in the original photograph, but I the lighting was wrong. I was shooting toward the sunlight, and so the trees looked very dark in the photo. Tonight I opened the image in Painter and adjusted the brightness and contrast. The color was starting to improve, so I posterized the image. (Through trial and error, I found the amount of posterizing effect that I wanted.) Then I added a little color overlay in the sky, and cropped several times to get the composition I wanted. I transferred the image back into iPhoto, and decided to hit the "enhance" button. The posterizing effect was still there, but the colors were just a bit better. Then I straightened the image and cropped just a little bit more. I think all this was worth it, because through all this digital editing, I was able to find my way back to the way the scene looked when I was standing there with my camera.

No comments: