Monday, December 05, 2011

Lacy Branches (Digital Woodcut)

Well, even though the temperature was near sixty degrees today, tonight I have been spending time tonight working on this image of snow on branches. I have been thinking about images with a winter theme for the holidays, but we have only had the one snowstorm so far here in Boston. (NOTE: This is fine by me! I am not complaining!) So I poked around in last year's photos and found one I wanted to work on, a photo of snow-covered branches against a shadowy background. I took the original picture because I liked the lacy effect of the branches, but the image was too dark, dim, and didn't have enough contrast. So tonight I opened the image in Painter. I adjusted the lighting, contrast, and focus. Then I created a digital woodcut, fooling around with the controls until I had the amount of black I wanted to see. Then I did a little post-production on it, posterizing again and making the image brighter. Then I cropped it to get this composition.

No comments: