Sunday, December 04, 2011

Winter Tree with Red Berries (Digital Woodcut)

This image started with a photo that I took back in 2005, with a low-resolution cell-phone camera. (I posted it here on December 19, 2005.) People seem to like that little photo, and I have been thinking about using it for holiday cards. Tonight I found the old jpeg on my computer, and imported it into iPhoto. Then I opened it in Painter for editing. The image was very small, so I resized the canvas. Then I posterized the image and changed the resolution. After that, I adjusted the brightness and sharpened the focus. Then I started turning this into a "digital woodcut", experimenting until I had the colors I wanted to see and the right amount of black. Finally I cropped it just a bit to get the composition that you see here.

No comments: