Thursday, February 02, 2012

Detail, Drawing from Drawing Group Session on Feb. 1, 2012

Last night I went to a new figure drawing group organized by one of the artists at Porter Mill Studios. When I lived in Lawrence, Kansas, I was part of a drawing group that met every week. It was great practice and we even had group shows. Since then, I have taken several classes in drawing and painting the figure, but it has been a couple of years. So I was pretty rusty, and pretty nervous at first, especially with quick (5 minute poses). But as the poses went to 10 and then 20 minutes, I began to relax and things got somewhat better. Nonetheless I remained frustrated with what I was creating. But when I looked at the drawings today, I was actually happy with a few of them. This is a detail (head and shoulders) of one of the best ones, done with pencil on heavy paper.

No comments: