Friday, February 03, 2012

Road at Long Hill (Posterized and Digitally Modified Photo)

This image began with a photo that I took a few days ago, during a late afternoon walk at Long Hill Gardens here in Beverly, MA. I liked the golden light and the curve of the road. I took a picture even though I knew I would probably need to do something about the road, which is asphalt (known as 'hot top' here in Boston). Obviously many, many efforts have been made to fill cracks in this road with tar, so there are little trails of black line all over the road. Because I like the composition well enough to use for a painting sometime, I decided to see if I could do some digital road repair myself! I opened the image in Painter and used some digital airbrush on the road, just enough to make the black lines less distracting. Then I did some posterizing with the selection tool so I could control how much posterizing effect to use with each area. Once I got the image back into iPhoto, I used the slider to warm up the "temperature" a little bit, to emphasize the golden glow of the four o'clock light.

No comments: