Thursday, April 19, 2012

Field of Forget-Me-Nots (Posterized Photo)

This image began as a photo that I took on April 1, during a walk at Long Hill Gardens. We had an early warm spell and so many things were in bloom at once that day that I almost didn't notice the forget-me-nots. They appear every year around the same time, and they usually bloom before most other flowers, so they are easier to notice. Although each of the little blue flowers is quite small, together they create big areas of blue under the trees. Once I noticed them there, I took a picture with my iPhone camera. Tonight I edited the original photo in Painter, cleaning up some weeds with digital pastel. Then I posterized the image and cropped it to get this image. (I also created a digital woodcut of this image, which I plan to post tomorrow.) When I was younger, I used to wonder why these are called forget-me-nots. What do they remind us not to forget? But now I know more about forget-me-nots, and about the importance of remembering, and the gentle caution of these flowers makes more sense to me now.

No comments: