Thursday, May 03, 2012

Colorado Drawings Aspen

Colorado Drawings Aspen by randubnick
Colorado Drawings Aspen, a photo by randubnick on Flickr.
Today I created this drawing, part of a series of drawings based on a small (5"x 8") sketchbook that I took with me on a trip home to Colorado during the 1980s. I was drawing from the passenger seat of a moving car, just trying to capture the lines of the mountains, and sometimes I wrote down the location, as in this one. For this series, I am scanning the sketches into my computer and printing out copies which I then use to trace into a new sketchbook. (I put the print-out copy over graphite paper and trace over the lines.) The original sketch is posted here on April 25th. This trip took place during the summer, but the color scheme for this drawing is inspired by the accidental inspiration of a printer malfunction when I printed out the copy for tracing. The printer heads weren't working and instead of black and white, I got turquoise and white, with faint red lines. (See post for April 27th.) I liked the look of the blue and white mountain, and tried to maintain some of that, which gives this the look of a winter scene, even though the original sketch was created during the summer. I also used the turquoise background and pink stripes from the printing mishap. (After I printed out a duplicate version of my accidental inspiration, I spent some time cleaning the nozzle heads on my printer today!) If you want to see other drawings in this series, search my posts for "Colorado Drawings" and "Colorado Sketchbook".

No comments: