Monday, May 07, 2012

River and Trees in Spring

River and Trees in Spring by randubnick
River and Trees in Spring, a photo by randubnick on Flickr.

Today's adventure was a walk by the Bass River, just behind a local Starbucks. I could see the soft golden-green of trees leafing out on the river bank, so I took some pictures. Tonight I used iPhoto to do some basic editing. Whenever I see trees leafing out, a line from Robert Frost always pops into my head: "Nature's first green is gold" (from "Nothing Gold Can Stay"). If you know this poem, then you know that it is not an optimistic poem -- except in the sense that all poetry is optimistic by virtue of its very existence. But Robert Frost is right: first leaves are golden, "but only so an hour", so we had better pay attention! *If you don't know this poem, follow this link: www.online-literature.com/frost/748/

No comments: