Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Chicken Collage Day 24 (July 3, 2012)

This afternoon, I went to the studio for a while and worked for about an hour on this project, my chicken collage. I am using pasted paper to create an image of a chicken made up of patterns. This idea suddenly came to while I was looking at the chickens at Long Hill Gardens, here in Beverly, MA. There were lots of different kinds of chickens there, and lots of beautiful patterns in their feathers. Well, this project is taking a long time, but for me, that is always true of collage. Creating the image is fun, and at the beginning the work goes quickly, but there is a lot of slow and painstaking work to implement the idea and finish it. Today I made the focus of my work filling in gaps in the tail feathers with tiny pieces of black and white polka dot pattern. This went slowly, but I can see some progress. And as always, working on this little chicken makes me smile.

No comments: