Monday, July 30, 2012

Heading into Boston (Digital Woodcut)

This image began with a photo that I took yesterday on the way into Boston (heading to the MFA to see the Alex Katz exhibit). I had the luxury of being a passenger, so I got out my iPhone camera and tried to capture Boston. I love the Zakim Bridge, never get tired of it, and never get tired of trying to photograph it. In this shot, we are headed up the Leverett Connector with the bridge in sight . Tonight I took the original photo and used Painter 12 to posterize it and then apply the woodcut effect. I did a lot of fiddling with the controls and used the selection tools to try to get the effects to land where I wanted them to be. Then I did some more editing in iPhoto, quieting the colors a bit. I considered straightening the image out, but I like it as it is. It captures the feeling of being following the rapid curves of Leverett Connector, careening towards Boston.

No comments: