Friday, August 17, 2012

Chicken Collage Day 26 (August 17, 2012)

I went to the studio this morning and worked for an hour on this collage. The idea of making a chicken out of patterned paper came to me while I was admiring some real live chickens with beautiful feathers. Although the idea came suddenly, carrying it out has been slow going. But I am getting there. Today I filled in the neck with more white triangles, and then used smaller triangles to outline the head. (I am figuring this out as I go; there is no predetermined plan.) Since the last time I worked on this, I have been trying to figure out what to do about the tail. There are some gaps where the cardboard shows through, and they are very tiny and hard to fill. I have been resisting the temptation to grab a fineline felt-tip pen and fill in the gaps, maybe even in red. But today what I decided to do is to fill in the gaps I can and leave the rest, using the cardboard as part of the pattern. So I cut tiny pieces, only big enough to have one polka dot, and fit them into the larger gaps. Anything bigger won't fit, and anything smaller is too small to handle! It was getting too hot in the studio, and I needed to stop anyway, but I was happy because I had figured out what to do about the tail and will continue with that next time. Meanwhile, I am thinking about how I want to finish the chicken's head. I begin to believe I may actually finish this project!

No comments: