Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunlight on Autumn Leaves (Posterized)

On Thursday, we went to Long Hill Gardens to pick up our farm share from the CSA. (It was one of the last weeks.) I was admiring some of the autumn leaves on shrubs near the fields. They looked great in the strong afternoon light so I took some pictures with my iPhone camera. When I loaded the images into my computer, I noticed that one of the pictures was washed out at the edges with very bright light. I decided to see what I could do with it because it is fun to solve problems like that, and sometimes posterizing a photo can create amazing effects with diffused light. So I cleaned up the image with some retouching in iPhoto, and then opened the image in Painter. I did some cropping to focus on the leaves and in the process, eliminated some of the white areas. Then I posterized the image, and here is the result.

No comments: