Thursday, April 04, 2013

Honeymoon in Kansas City, MO (Digitally Modified and Posterized Photo)

My folks were married on April 4, 1943 (wow, 70 years ago) so today I was looking through my mom's album. My mother kept an album that starts with pictures on the day she met my dad, through their wedding a few weeks later, their honeymoon trip to NYC, and then photos that my dad sent back while he was overseas during WWII and photos of my mom's life in Pueblo until he returned. She kept all the photos in order, with captions and information written longhand in white ink on the black album paper. Today I found a snapshot that I liked, taken in Kansas City, Missouri. My mom wrote that they left Pueblo on April 18 on the Santa Fe Railroad, headed for Brooklyn, NY, but made a stop in Kansas City and had breakfast with friends. (One of those friends probably took this picture.) I liked the fact that this was taken in Kansas City, MO because years later we lived in Kansas (Emporia and Lawrence) and often visited Kansas City (both KS and MO sides). Anyway. The snapshot itself is about 3 x 4 inches (if that). I liked the pose and the lighting. The composition showed a lot of background, so the image of my parents was very small indeed (maybe an inch and a quarter). But I liked the photo and decided to do something with it. I scanned the image into the computer, and then used Painter 12 to increase the size and resolution of the image. Then I added color overlays and selective posterizing. My first crop showed more of the background, which I had fun colorizing. But I cropped a lot of it out for this version, to give center stage to the newlyweds.

No comments: