Monday, June 24, 2013

Roses in June (Digital Woodcut)

Today I bought a bouquet of roses, a birthday gift. There were so many beautiful colors that it was hard to decide, but I pinked out some that were pink, heading towards purple. Although I was trying to hurry, I stopped to take a quick picture with my iPhone camera. I was happy with my choice of roses and they made a nice gift. My photo, on the other hand, was blurred and the color was wrong, almost red-orange (maybe because I took the picture under fluorescent lights.) I decided to try to salvage the image, so I opened it in Painter and used posterizing and digital woodcut effects to eliminate blurred edges and accentuate the lines of the rose petals. Then I used Painter to correct the color, quieting the color and shifting it towards blue. Then I posterized it again to get more variation in the petals and cropped the image to get this composition. I am glad I took the trouble because now I have a nice souvenir of my June roses.

No comments: