Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sunlight and Storm Clouds (Oil Bar Painting as of June 25, 2013)

Here is the oil bar painting I have been working on, a view of Salem on a stormy summer evening. This is loosely based on a photo that I took recently from Obear Park here in Beverly, MA (posted here on June 19). This is the painting as it looked yesterday when I finished painting. Most of what I accomplished yesterday was just straightening out the line of the water at the edge of the shore. I realized, by photographing the painting, that the water line is tilted. That had to be fixed. Land masses can be tilted, but the water line is always straight. So yesterday's work was mostly measuring, marking, and repainting with a straight edge. Once I got that main line squared up, I had to repaint a lot of small areas to make it work. I think it was worth it. . . .

No comments: