Friday, June 28, 2013

Sunlight and Storm Clouds (Oil Bar Painting as of June 27, 2013)

This is my oil bar painting as it looked yesterday, when I finally started painting the sky. I started by adjusting some of the tree shapes, and then started painting, first dark blue right next to the tree line, followed by the color you see here. I am going for a periwinkle, but more grey. That's a strange color to paint the sky, but I am going by the reference photo (posted here June 19.) I took the photo just before sunset (from Obear Park here in Beverly, MA). There were heavy clouds in the distance, and the combination with the long light of sunset created some strange effects with light and color. But even so, this is not the final color for the sky, just the first coat (underpainting) and I plan to soften it. I also added some of the periwinkle to the water (reflected light from the sky).

No comments: