Thursday, June 13, 2013

Winter Drive at Sunset (Oil Bar Painting as of June 12, 2013)

This is a work in progress, an oil bar painting that I started a few days ago. This is a view of a winter sunset, loosely based on a photo I took several years ago. This is how the painting looked after I finished working on it yesterday (June 12). (I am still a day behind in my posts.) Yesterday I worked on the colors in the lower half of the painting. I used an icy blue to repaint the snow in the foreground (just cobalt blue and white). I finally added some dark blue (more cobalt) to that hill and it made a lot of difference to the feel of the painting. I used some dark blue shadow to begin to suggest the shape of the hillside. Because I want to hang this painting for this weekend's Open Studio, I started sealing the outside surfaces of the canvas even though I am still working on the painting, because otherwise it won't be dry enough to hang by then.

No comments: