Friday, June 14, 2013

Winter Drive at Sunset (Oil Bar Painting as of June 13, 2013)

This is my oil bar painting in progress as of yesterday (I am still one day behind in my posts.) This view of a winter sunset is loosely based on one of my photographs. (The reference photo is posted here June 10 2013.) After painting for an hour this morning, I was still very frustrated with the hillside and trees. I couldn't get the shapes right and after painting for an hour, felt like things weren't getting better, and might become worse if I wasn't careful. It was time to stop anyway, so I turned the canvas sideways to finish sealing the edges (still hoping to get this done in time for Open Studios this weekend.). But as a went about my day, I kept thinking about my painting. By late afternoon, I was so grouchy that I decided to do something about it. I looked at the painting (still sideways), and decided to try a trick that I learned from one of my painting teachers. Instead of turning the painting right side up, I turned the reference photo sideways too, and painted in the shapes I saw, with the canvas still on its side. It worked! I was painting what I saw, not what I thought should be there. Then I finally turned the painting right side round and corrected a few shadows, and this is how it looked at that point. I felt like the painting was back on track, and so was my day.

No comments: