Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reflections (Oil Bar Painting as of July 18, 2013)

This morning I worked on this oil bar painting for about an hour. I am using one of my photos as a reference, taken last summer at Bradley Palmer State Park in Topsfield, MA. (The reference photo is posted here July 14, 2013.) Yesterday I worked on the shapes and placement of the four central trees (and their reflections in the water), so this morning I built on that, working out placement and shapes of surrounding trees across the water. (I also worked out the placement of some of the tree branches in the foreground, but those are just sketched in at the moment.) I also roughed in some color to indicate sky and water. This is underpainting (first coat) and the colors are primarily to establish the composition, so they may change, along with the shapes.

No comments: