Monday, July 22, 2013

Reflections (Oil Bar Painting as of July 22, 2013)

This morning I worked my oil bar painting of a scene at Bradley Palmer State Park, from a photo I took there last summer. (The reference photo is posted here June 14th.) This morning I tried to work out placement of the trees in the foreground, on the left and right edges of the canvas. (This is not the final color; I used pink to indicate foreground trees so I can easily distinguish them from the trees that are further away.) So far I am happy with the placement of the tree on the right. But I am going to make changes with the tree on the left. I already moved it slightly closer to the edge of the canvas, but even so I feel like I am losing the feeling of space opening up in the distance. Options I am considering: 1) painting out all of part of that tree, 2) moving the tree over a bit more, or 3) moving the shoreline over just a bit to increase the sense of space. Or perhaps a little bit of all three. In any case, it is good to have time to think it over.

No comments: