Saturday, August 03, 2013

Reflections (Oil Bar Painting as of August 2, 2013)

This is my oil bar painting as it looked when I finished working on it yesterday (August 2, 2013). This painting is loosely based on a photo that I took at Bradley Palmer State Park (posted here June 14, 2013). Apart from making some subtle changes to the water on the left, most of my time was spent trying to work out placement of branches for the tree on the right. (I have recently moved a computer into my home studio so now I can open my reference photo on screen and zoom in to see detail, and that has helped a lot, especially with this tree.) There is still a lot of red in those leaves, so I can see what I am doing. Right now these leaves don't look very natural because they are so uniform (and the wrong color). But I will address those problems later. Right now I am just trying to establish placement and composition for this painting, and this tree is pretty much the last piece of the puzzle.

No comments: