Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Grape Arbor (Oil Bar Painting as of Mar. 26, 2014)



I worked on this painting again this morning. This is based on a photo that I took at Long Hill Gardens, here in Beverly, MA. (My reference photo is posted here on Mar. 20.) Today I reworked the placement of the grape clusters, trying to come closer to the shapes in the reference photo. First I outlined the shapes on a printed copy of the reference photo. Then I outlined the same shapes on the canvas, using a bit of red-violet paint. That was scary, but I needed the color contrast to see where I was. I corrected the placement of some of the key grapes, and eliminated some others that were in the wrong place. Then I painted out the red lines, replacing them with green and blue background. (Now there aren't as many grapes as there should be, but I will be putting them back in, as well as reworking the color.) I also added some color to the wooden structure of the arbor. This is as far as I got today. Still lots to do.

No comments: