Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mom and Lilacs (Decoupage on Jute and Board)




Here is a recent project that I have been working on. The image began with a snapshot of my mother that I found in her photo album.  She is standing in front of the lilac bush and the house where I grew up. This is one of my favorite pictures of her. The original photo was a black and white snapshot,  only 2 inches by 3 inches   A few years ago, I used Painter to enlarge it and to create a digitally modified and colorized version, posted here on March 27, 2005.  Over the weekend, I made a print of the image and then decoupaged it onto a jute-covered masonite board.  I covered it with gel medium and pressed it down to get the texture of the fabric to show through. Then painted the fabric with a muted lilac color. I wanted something with the faded look of a memory.  I thought about adding some kind of ornament (like lace or gold), but that's not who my mother was. She liked things to be modern, plain, straightforward. So at least for the moment, I am leaving this as it is. 

No comments: