Sunday, June 15, 2014

Two Fathers (Digital Woodcut)



This image began with a negative that I found today when I was looking for a picture of my dad.  It was a small negative and I could make out who it was (but not where) and I couldn't tell the quality of the image.  But I was curious, so I scanned it in to the computer, and then used Painter software to create a "positive" image from the negative.  Yes, it was a photo of my dad holding me and my Uncle Bob holding my cousin.  (I was raised in a big house that held two families: my parents, my aunt and uncle, my cousin, and my grandma.)  I was excited because I didn't recall seeing this photo before.  But I could see why, because the focus was too soft and the image was a little blurry.  But I thought the image had potential, so I kept going.  I still couldn't figure out the location (and something seemed strange) so I decided to flip the image horizontally.  And that was the problem: I had scanned the image wrong way round, and once I got it right, the faces looked better and I recognized the house where I grew up!  So then I had some fun adding color and posterizing and finally turned this into a woodcut.  I thought this would be a good post for Father's Day.

No comments: