Thursday, July 31, 2014

Square in Old Montreal



Tonight I created this "digital woodcut" from one of the photos that I took during a recent trip to Montreal. This is a view of Place Jacques Cartier, one of the main squares in Old Montreal. It's a very busy place, but I took this picture during a quiet weekday morning. The original photo had a lot of problems, so I did some basic editing in iPhoto to correct the exposure and light and dark balance. Then I cropped the image to get this composition. After that, I opened the image in Painter. I used some color overlay and digital pastel to make some of the tourists' clothing more neutral and less distracting. Then I posterized the image and applied a woodcut effect. I worked with the "select" tool to apply different amounts of "black ink" and "heaviness" to different parts of the image.

No comments: