Saturday, August 02, 2014

Remembering Montreal (Watercolor)



I took along my little travel watercolor kit for the recent trip to Montreal. I didn't really have much opportunity to use it, apart from this little painting (5 x 8 inches), which I worked on one afternoon in the hotel room. I was working from impressions and memories of what I had seen so far. I was pretty far into this painting when I began to doubt my memory. Weren't most of the buildings on Rue St. Paul four-story buildings? So where had I seen little houses like this? I have a pretty good visual memory, but I thought maybe was confusing the scenes in Old Montreal with the cute little farmhouses I had seen as we drove through Quebec. I was annoyed with myself but decided to keep going anyway, and work on the painting as it was. That evening as I returned to the streets of Old Montreal, I saw that I had not been entirely mistaken after all. Some of the older restaurants (like those I had seen in the main square (Place Jacques Cartier) are in little three-story houses like the ones in my painting.

No comments: