Saturday, January 03, 2015

Hillside at Appleton Farms (Photo Modified for Painting Reference)



This image looks strange because it is part photo and part digital drawing. I modified one of my photos to use as a painting reference next week. I plan to paint this hillside from a photo I took at Appleton Farms, but want to make changes to the composition.  So instead of using "trial and error" on the canvas, I decided to do a little digital "dress rehearsal". So I opened the image in Painter and adjusted the shape of the canvas by adding "blank space" on the right side and top (and a little bit at left).  The idea was to allow for a more successful crop.  Then I filled in the new blank space with "invented" imagery created with a combination of digital drawing and cut-and-paste.  I want to be able to show more of the top of the tree in a square format, so I added branches and foliage at the (new) top edge of the canvas.  I also changed the shape of the tree, bringing the branches in so that they don't extend as far into the center of the canvas.  I also modified the shape of the line of trees in the distance.  Then I drew in more fence, field, and grass, extending the existing lines over to the  (new) right-hand border.  I tried to match colors, but not textures, because this is just a tool to help me envision a new composition.  I am not concerned with a polished appearance because this image is not intended to be a finished work of art.  I do think the composition will work better with these changes. Even though I will probably make even more changes to the composition once I start painting, I think this has been a helpful exercise.

No comments: