Sunday, January 04, 2015

Tree and Hillside (Oil Bar Painting as of January 4, 2014)



This morning I started working on this new painting. I am painting this scene from a photo that I took in October at Appleton Farms. This morning I started laying out the composition. After making a few strokes, I decided I needed a grid, so I created a quick one on the canvas by marking the edge at 5" intervals, to divide it into fourths. Then, I made a quick grid for the reference photo as well by folding it into 16 pieces. That was helpful and I was able to set up the basic placement. I think I have the basic idea, although I think the shape of the tree will need some revision, and I can already see some other adjustments. But it felt good to get things started. If you want to see the reference photo, see the post for January 3.

No comments: