Sunday, February 08, 2015

Tree and Hillside (Oil Bar Painting as of February 8, 2015)


Today I got back to this painting after over a week. (The delay was a combination of cold temperatures in my home studio and simple procrastination as I get to the more difficult parts of this painting.) This oil bar painting is based on photos that I took in late October at Appleton Farms, in Ipswich, MA. (My reference photos are posted here on January 2nd and 3rd.) I am still working on placement of the foliage and today I broke out the burnt orange and red, which was fun. I also made the tree trunk a little darker to maintain contrast so I can see what I am doing. One of the hardest things is just trying to understand what I see, and in this case, I am trying to understand the light and dark areas of the foliage.

No comments: