Thursday, April 23, 2015

Codfish Project (Woodblock Trial #1) April 18, 2015






I am going to decorate a big wooden codfish to donate to the Marblehead Arts Festival. Fifty local artists are doing this, and the decorated fish will be displayed in Marblehead before they are auctioned off. I picked up the wooden fish last week, and have been thinking hard about codfish. After looking at photos of codfish, I decided to do a very loose rendition of the markings on the codfish, but it bright colors. I decided to do this with collage, using layers of tissue paper and gel medium. And I knew I wanted to used silver paper for the background, with bright pink and dark blue. I decided to try out my ideas on a piece of scrap lumber. (This wasn't going to be like working on a piece of paper. "Can I have another fish, please?" wouldn't be an option.) So I did six different trials on my block of wood, with different sizes and proportions and positions of pink and blue. I also decided to try adding gold accents, painted through a net to suggest scales. It was hard to get the result I wanted, but sometimes it worked. Anyway, this was a helpful exercise. After spending a little time looking at these six trial runs, I had a clearer idea of what to do. To be continued. . .

No comments: