Friday, April 24, 2015

Codfish Project (Woodblock Trial #2) April 22, 2015



This is more prep work for my codfish project. Fifty local artists are decorating wooden codfish to be displayed in Marblehead and then auctioned for the Marblehead Arts Fest this summer. Rather than risk having to do "overs" on my big wooden codfish, I decided to do some trial runs on small pieces of scrap lumber. For my first woodblock trial, I tried out six different ways to do the markings on the fish. I chose one of them and in this trial run, I am trying to see how my choice is going to look. What you see here is silver tissue paper collaged to the woodblock, with markings also made of tissue paper. I also tried adding gold acrylic accents, painted through a net to look like scales. So far, I haven't been able to get that to work the way I would like, at least not consistently. And that could be a problem, because that would be the final step in the process. But I still like the touches of gold paint because help to suggest the iridescence of the skin. To be continued. . .

No comments: