Monday, January 18, 2016

Vanilla Wafer Ice-Box Cake (Illustration as of Jan. 18, 2016)


Here is the project I have been working on. This is going to be an illustration for a recipe on our food blog, Seasoning for Every Palate (seasoningforeverypalate.wordpress.com.) My mom used to make a pink strawberry ice-box cake with vanilla wafers. I have been making a mixed media drawing (mostly colored pencil, conte, and marker. Yesterday I did a digital dress rehearsal to try out my idea for drawing in strawberries for garnish and cookie crumbs sprinkled on top before making changes to the drawing. I opened a copy of the image in Painter and added the strawberries and cookie crumb topping with digital pastel. And I also try modifying some of the other colors and outline color. You can see the result on yesterday's post. I liked the changes, so this morning, I made some of the changes on the drawing. I added the strawberries and the cookie crumbs. But as I suspected, it was pretty tough to adjust the darker color "in real life" because I am working in crayon and pastel over marker. (I may finish up on the computer to make final adjustments to the outline color and make some other corrections.) This morning I also continued to deepen the color, especially the tabletop. (I had not been able to find my favorite purple pencil, but it turned up yesterday!)

No comments: