Sunday, January 17, 2016

Vanilla Wafer Ice-Box Cake (Digital Trial Run Jan. 17, 2016)


I have been working on an illustration for a recipe on our food blog, Seasoning for Every Palate (seasoningforeverypalate.wordpress.com.) The recipe is for a dessert that my mom used to make, a pink strawberry ice-box cake made with vanilla wafers. Yesterday I decided that I wanted to add crushed vanilla wafers to the top surface, and maybe some strawberries. But I wasn't ready to change the drawing before I tried it out. So today I did a digital dress rehearsal. I opened a copy of the image in Painter (using the most recent version of the drawing), and added the strawberries and cookie crumb toping using digital pastel. This gave me a chance to try out placement and color. While I was at it, I tried changing the color of some of the outline. This is a little easier to do digitally than on the actual drawing, but I think I might try, even though I might have to switch to paint. (My ace-in-the hole: I can always do that digitally in Painter before I publish the image.) Anyway, I my digital dress rehearsal was helpful, and tomorrow I will get back to the actual drawing.

No comments: