Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Vanilla Wafer Ice-Box Cake (Illustration as of Jan. 20, 2016)


Today I worked on this illustration for a recipe on our food blog, Seasoning for Every Palate ( seasoningforeverypalate.wordpress.com ) The recipe for typical 1950s pink dessert that my mother made when I was a kid. Today my mission was to adjust some of the colors that were getting too dark and to make the blue outline less prominent in some places.   A few days ago, I tried out these changes on the computer in a kind of digital dress rehearsal. I used Painter software to modify the photo of my drawing with digital pastel. (My digital "dress rehearsal" is posted here, Jan. 17, 2016.) This morning I made the changes in real life, with acrylic paint. Up to today, I had been using colored pencil, crayon, conte, and marker on this mixed media drawing. This combination makes it easier to make colors darker, but making things lighter can be  challenging.  So today I mixed up some white, pink, and yellow, and with a very small brush, put some translucent paint over selected areas to lighten them: the bottom crust, the pink dessert, and  the blue outlining, just in areas where I wanted it soften it.  I also added a bit of yellow to help suggest the crumb topping. Even though I already knew I could make the changes "post-production" on the computer if necessary, I was very happy that this worked on the actual drawing itself.  Now I just need to finish up the background colors and this will be ready to go.

No comments: