Sunday, April 24, 2016

Bela Bacalhau as of April 24, 2016


Here is Bela Bacalhau, my codfish project as she looks today. This is going to be my contribution to the codfish auction for the Marblehead Art Association. (Fifty codfish, decorated by fifty area artists, will be on display in downtown Marblehead and then auctioned off.) Today I finished drawing in the design, which is inspired by blue and white Portuguese tiles (azulejos) that I have seen on trips to Portugal. I had already tried out my design by drawing it "life size" on paper (posted here April 9, 2016 ) Yesterday I drew in the basic grid (the shapes of the tiles) on the wooden cutout, and it took a lot of measuring and looking to get the lines as straight as possible. Today I added the rest of the design, still measuring, checking, putting Bela on the wall and photographing her to make sure the lines remained straight and that the design will look balanced. I also participated in this event last year, and if you like, you can see what I made if you follow this link: www.flickr.com/photos/randiart/17469011928/


No comments: