Monday, May 02, 2016

Bela Bacalhau as of May 2, 2016


Here is my codfish project as of today. Fifty area artists are decorating wooden codfish for the Marblehead Art Association. The codfish will be on display in downtown Marblehead and then auctioned to benefit the arts. My inspiration is Portugal, where codfish is on every menu, so I call my fish Bela Bacalhau ("beautiful codfish"). My design is also inspired by Portugal, the blue and white Portuguese tiles (azulejos) that I have seen there. Yesterday I started to decorate the fish, using silver ink to outline the squares of the "tiles". Today I began with more measuring and revising. Then I applied more silver ink for the dots in the center of the squares and started outlining the design elements with blue marker. I want the design to look like tiles, but I also want to suggest fish scales, a kind of visual pun. This is as far as I got today. I am trying to go slowly and carefully, to avoid mistakes. This is my second year participating in this event. If you want to see Gilda, my codfish project from last year, follow this link: www.flickr.com/photos/randiart/17469011928/

No comments: