Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Bela Bacalhau as of May 3, 2016


Today I did some more work on my codfish project. This is for the Marblehead Art Association, which has asked some fifty area artists to decorate wooden codfish cutouts, which will be auctioned to benefit the arts. This year my project is inspired by Portugal, where I saw codfish (bacalhau) listed on every menu. The blue and white patterns on my fish are inspired by Portuguese blue and white tiles (azulejos). This morning, I spent about an hour using a pencil to refine the tiny fish silhouettes at the corner of each square "tile". This afternoon, I went back to the project and started outlining the fish shapes and filling them in with blue fine-line marker. I had a little trouble with the marker tips drying out (I think it might be the gesso), but I made it work. This is my second year participating in this codfish event. If you want to see my codfish project from last year, follow this link: www.flickr.com/photos/randiart/17469011928/

No comments: