Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Flag and Flowers (Digitally Edited)


This image began with a photo that I took back on October 19th, during a walk at Lynch Park, here in Beverly, MA.  I liked this little flag casually stuck in a planter, surrounded by flowers, so I took a picture.  I thought this would be a nice image for Thanksgiving. But once I had the image in the computer, I saw a patch of faded flowers and they were just a bit too distracting.  So tonight I opened the image in Painter and used some cut-and-paste and digital pastel to put more leaves and flowers there instead.  (See what you can do with a little hope and optimism, at least in art?) But that was all I changed, really, because what I liked most about the image is the contrast of fall flowers with no petals left, some deep maroon sedum, and those bright pink roses. (An unlikely mix, but they look better together, don't you think?)  And that spunky little flag against the October leaves, looking like it can take whatever the changing weather brings.  

No comments: