Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Portrait of Us (Pencil Sketch as of Dec. 14,2016)


I worked on this drawing again today.  I started this pencil sketch a few days ago, as a way to prepare for an upcoming portrait that I am going to paint. My reference is a vacation photo, the same one that I will use to pain the portrait of this couple.  In the photo, they are riding a motorbike in Greece, and are wearing helmets and sunglasses. Today I started by making some changes to the faces, little issues that I noticed while finishing up yesterday. Then I spent most of my time working on the position and shapes of the helmets.  Sounds like a crazy thing to focus on, but in this case, the helmets indicate the shape and position of the head, so I want to get that right.  I did a lot of measuring and adjusting, and in the process, changed the position of the faces as I worked, sometimes for the better. So now the helmets are looking better, but I will need to go back and make more adjustments to the faces. But I am getting there.  I think the likeness is improving, but even more important, I am learning a lot of things that I wouldn't want to have to figure out mid-painting.  To be continued.

No comments: