Thursday, February 02, 2017

Portrait of Us (As of Feb. 2, 2017)


I kept going on this project yesterday. I am painting a portrait of this couple, working from a vacation photos which shows them in Greece, riding on a motorbike, with sunglasses and helmets.  I started the process in December by drawing a pencil sketch as preparation (posted here, December 14, 2016). Now I am using acrylic paint on canvas, working in thin layers.  I began with only brown and white paint, but this week am starting to add color. I am moving slowly, being careful not to throw the likeness off as I add color.  Yesterday I focused on adding pale yellow light to the background on the right, and showing that reflected light on the faces.  I want the light and colors of the background to show in their faces, as it does in real life. As I go along, I often stop to measure, compare with the photo, look at the painting in a mirror, and even turn the painting upside-down.  

No comments: