Monday, February 27, 2017

Portrait of Us (As of Feb. 25, 2017)


I worked on this portrait over the weekend, and this is how it looked at the end of the painting session on Saturday, Feb. 25.   My reference for this painting is a vacation photo of this couple on vacation in Greece, riding a motorbike, and wearing helmets and sunglasses.  On Saturday, I corrected some mistakes, worked a bit on the foliage on the right, but spent most of my time working on the reflections in the sunglasses. Why? When I looked closely at the photo, I could see reflections of the location in their glasses: the bright coast road, the seawall, the sharp dropoff.  I don't have much room to show the landscape, so I want to show what is there in the sunglasses. (In fact, you can even see that this photo is a selfie!)  I worked hard to get the detail right, and then went over it with a dark green wash. I was worried about this, but am pretty happy about how the sunglasses look. To be continued. . . .

No comments: