Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Idea for Cecelia (Codfish Project) Mar. 25, 2017


This is a pencil sketch of an idea for my decorated wooden codfish. For the third year, I am among a group of local artists who are decorating wooden codfish, to be displayed in Marblehead and then auctioned off to benefit Marblehead Festival of the Arts. My idea is to create a codfish covered in scales: musical scales!  This started with a suggestion one of my cousins made last year.  I started sketching the idea to see if it would work.  I discovered that if I arrange the lines of "music" horizontally, the effect would look like stripes.  (And I checked: there is such a thing as a striped cod.) And repeating the scales creates diagonal lines.  This sketch only shows three "stripes", but I am going to try for five if I can fit them in.  Once I started working with this idea, the puns kept coming: C scales, sea scales. And I decided to name this fish Cecelia (Sea Celia). (After deciding this, I discovered that St. Cecelia is the patron saint of music, so that works.) I am still thinking about the color scheme,  but I am eager to get started on this year's codfish. I also participated in this event last year, and you can see what I made  if you follow this link:https://www.flickr.com/photos/randiart/26803421380/


1 comment:

Minka said...

St Cecelia, the patron saint of music! Ha! How fitting!