Sunday, April 23, 2017

Bright Tree at Long Hill (Posterized Photo)


I am starting another oil bar painting.  I began this morning by preparing my reference photo.  This is a picture that I took at Long Hill Gardens last fall. (The original is posted here  back on October 20, 2016).  Long Hill, also known as Sedgwick Gardens, was once a private estate but the houses on  the property and the gardens themselves are now owned by the Trustees of the Reservation, and are open to the public.  I liked photo of the road leading to the main house, and the carriage house on the left.  I am going to use this photo as the basis of my composition, though I plan to make a few changes.  So today, I opened the image in Painter and did some cropping to get a square format. I also used digital pastel to paint over a car visible through the trees. Then I did some posterizing, especially trying to bring out orange tones in the tree on the right.

No comments: