Thursday, April 13, 2017

Notes for a Color Scheme for Ceclia


Yesterday I posted a sketch, still in progress, a design for the wooden codfish I am decorating for the Marblehead Festival of the Arts. This will be the third time I have participated. Some 50 local artists will each decorate a wooden codfish. In the spring, the codfish will be displayed in Marblehead and then auctioned off to benefit Marblehead Festival of the Arts. My idea for this year is to paint a fish covered in scales: musical scales -- C scales, to be specific, which is why I decided to name this fish Cecelia. Before starting work on the wooden cutout, I traced the fish shape on a big piece of paper and began laying out the design.  Although there is certainly more work to be done on the sketch, I have been thinking about the color scheme, so I decided to try out some options.  Here are 10 possibilities, but I think there will be more to come.  The issues: to get enough contrast between the lines, the notes, and the background, especially since I am going to extend the lines onto the fins and tail. One idea that I haven't tried out yet: a silver background, blue lines, and gold notes.  We will see.  Anyway, it was good practice to draw the musical notes. If you want to get an idea of all this is going, follow this link to see "Bella Bacalhau," last year's entry: https://www.flickr.com/photos/randiart/26803421380/

No comments: